Mussels in White Wine


I wanted to share one of my all-time favourite date night recipes with you. It’s really simple and easy – and I’m sure someone somewhere said mussels are the food of love.
Mussels are pretty inexpensive from most foodie markets and for me make a meal that little bit special. They’re also so so easy to make.


My ingredients

·         A tablespoon olive oil
·         A tablespoon butter
·         2 small shallots, sliced
·         2 garlic cloves, mushed up – or like me buy lazy garlic
·         1 1/2 pounds mussels
·         8 ounces chicken stock
·         1/2 cup white wine
·         2 tablespoons or full fat cream
·         2 tablespoons chopped parsley
·         lemon wedges – lots of them
·         salt and pepper
·         Crusty French bread – you’ll need it!
My how to guide
  1. Clean and remove beards from mussels – the fishmonger did this this for me but if you’re truly getting into the spirit this can help: http://bit.ly/1tyccsi
  2. So, you’ll need to heat a large pot and add olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the sliced shallots, a pinch of salt and pepper Jamie Oliver bish bosh style and then cook for 5 minutes until the shallots are soft
  3. Add garlic and cook for a further minute. Add wine, chicken stock and mussels, then cover with a lid and steam everything for 8-10 minutes
  4. Check the mussels have all opened - if any mussels don’t open then throw them away.
  5. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cream and parsley and season a little more if you like
  6. Then serve - I like to serve this dish directly from the pot with lemon wedges and copious amounts of sliced crusty French bread for dipping
Tip from me to you – if you’re comfortable getting hands-on use an empty shell as a pair of tweezers.
I hope you like this as much as I do x
Ps. enjoy the rest of the wine!

Flirtify - Let's Get Together

0 comments:

Post a Comment